Monday, September 13, 2010

Adopting a Kitty

Ok so this weekend started off to a great start, mother is away for a 2 weeks, house to myself and ohhhh crap, a new cat? I found my dogs trying to attack a kitten on Friday; the poor thing was cornered curled up in a ball, while my two German Shepards were barking in her face taking snips at her. I brought her inside made her some fish and she’s been inside ever since. I’m still looking for a home for her because my dogs are assholes. Anyway I haven’t gotten around buying her a litter box but I have those training wee pads for puppies, I’m using them for now. She seems to understand how they work except for the occasional she misses the mat and hits the floor. Cleaning up is not fun, but from personal experience I’d rather pick up cat poop than dog poop because it seems to harden faster…interesting why is that?
So there isn’t enough research online to help me find out why my cat was pooping hard, or why it’s harder than dogs. I figured it had to do with something in their metabolism or diet but my hypothesis wasn’t answered. Instead I found out that it could be caused by dehydration and that I should probably give my kitten some milk or canned pumpkin. CANNED PUMPKIN?? That then got me to thinking, why does pumpkin help soften cat poop? From what I found out canned pumpkin, only 2 tablespoons, can soften cat or dog poop. It is rich in fiber which allows their digestive system to get going. It has even been reported to help with Fido’s diarrhea. Apparently pumpkin also absorbs water and can settle their stomachs, for a broke college student who can’t afford proper vet care this is an interesting fact. I shall put this to the test today after class. HMMM do I smell an individual research assignment….only if time permits.

No comments:

Post a Comment