Monday, October 18, 2010

Bat Attack

So this Sunday my brother was helping my mom trim some of the palm trees in our back yard. As he snipped this dead dangling cluster of palm out flew a bat, frightened by the sudden attack he let go of his positioning on the latter and feel on his back. It was the funniest thing to see but non the less he was at a loss of words as to what happened. Shaken up by the event my brother recapped what had happened and used a lot of inappropriate language to describe this poor creature. "Effing stupid piece of shit ugly bat, what the HELL was it thinking!!!" He yelled. As an obnoxious bio student I felt the need to defend the creature and piss my brother off.

"Uhh it was probably thinking the same about you interrupting his sleep and destroying his habitat." (My response to his argument) I didn't fully get a chance to examine the specimen but judging by our climate and location I assumed it was an insectivorous bat. I went on to explain how this bat is a big importance to bio regulation. "Batty eats about 240,000 kilos of insects a night, would you rather go around swatting these unwanted insects yourself or have this poor 'malreputable' creature do it?" He thought about it and agreed but then finished by saying, "yeah but its freaking ugly."

No comments:

Post a Comment