Monday, October 25, 2010

I have the blues, no not really but I've been listening to it

So recently after my weekend trip to Austin for ACL I came back with a new taste in music. I guess it started with watching the Blues Travelers sing, "run around" and watching John Popper go crazy on his harmonica. I was never a fan of them, ever, but for some reason when my hand was inches short of catching the harmonica he threw in my direction my mind changed. I must admit in secret (because if my friends found out they would judge me) that I enjoyed their preformance. Right After they played I got to see The Black Keys perform and they changed my life. I had listened some of The Black Keys songs but I never really got into them, but their live perfomance was AMAZING! I have sinced created a Black Keys Pandora station and have been intrigued with the different bands that have gone under my radar for so long. Who knew Stevie Ray Vaughan was that good, or that Jimmie Hendricks played the blues, or that Muddy Watters had lyrics that I would come to love. Since I've been really interested in this type of music my really good friend bought me a harmonica in order to explore my creative side. Worst mistake she could ever do because now i'm annoying everyone I come into contact with when I play. I have learned a simple blues chord that is really corny and fun to play. As much as I aspire to play the blues on my harmonica like John Popper I think I'll stick to my studies. I have a better shot at passing my Mammalian test than being a famous harmonica player.

No comments:

Post a Comment